Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Rock'n'Roll Marathon 2017

Hey everyone!

Most of you know I’m doing my first (and probably last!) marathon on Sunday June 18th! (Yes, it’s Father’s Day.) The Seattle Rock’n’Roll Marathon has a new course this year, and I’m excited to run 26.2 miles through the streets of Seattle! If you’re able to cheer me on, I’d absolutely LOVE it! If you can’t meet up then, no worries, but I’ll be having drinks later that night at Optimism Brewing. Come grab a brewski and see my shiny medal! (That I hope to have….otherwise, let’s drink for just having trained a shit ton!)

As with any big “first” I have a few contingency plans:

Goal #1: Finish within 6 hour cut-off.

Contingency A: Finish without getting swept by the SAG wagon but maybe after cut-off time. This race has a PRETTY fast cut-off time: 6 hours. Yes, that’s fast when you’re doing 26.2 miles…. That’s a 13:44 mile. I’ve proven I can run that pace for 15 miles, but another 11 is a lot to ask. SO……if that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen because I’m going too slow…

Contingency Plan B: If I get picked up, get them to move me forward on the course, tracking how far I’ve moved on the truck. Run the rest of the way to the finish, then keep running the amount they moved me forward on the truck, AFTER the finish line. I’m no cheater and, while an official time would be great, ain’t no shame, my people.

Contingency Plan C: If something goes wrong (see: my left knee has been grumpy lately), try to make it past 19.5 miles. This is the farthest I’ve ever run in training or in general, so if I’m able to at least make it past 19.5, I will have run the farthest I’ve ever run.

Contingency Plan D: Lie down on the course and cry. J/k j/k. Maybe.

Here’s links to information about the race: http://www.runrocknroll.com/seattle/the-races/course/ (make sure you select the marathon distance for the course stops)

I’ll be using my Nike Running app to track my pacing, but you can sign up for live updates here: http://www.runrocknroll.com/runner-tracking/

If you’d like to join me for bevs after the race, go here: https://www.facebook.com/events/742726669221371/

If you’d like to cheer me on, I’d REALLY love it if folks can meet me at the 9, 17, and 22 mile markers: http://www.runrocknroll.com/seattle/the-races/course/

Race start 6:30 AM; I’ll be in the last or near last wave, so I won’t likely start until close to 6:45 AM. I ran all the numbers in this spreadsheet to get the following windows:

  • 9 miles (Lake Washington Blvd & Dawson St): ETA ≈8:48 – 9:00 AM
  • 17 miles (Dearborn and 7th Ave S): ETA ≈ 10:38 – 10:56 AM
  • 22 miles (THE INFAMOUS “WALL” IS AROUND HERE, it’s a tricky one bc I’ll be on 99/Aurora across from Aloha Inn): ETA ≈ 11:47 AM – 12:06 PM
  • 26.2 miles (Finish Line, outside WaMu Theater on Occidental Ave, CUT OFF IS 1PM): 12:54 PM – 1:02 PM


No comments:

Post a Comment